Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Joooooooooomla! Part 1

So after the first 40 minutes of messing with Joomla I've created a homepage.  I have some categories, I've downloaded some extensions, and at the moment I'm trying to find a template that doesn't scream "I was free and found roaming the wilds of the internets."  We'll see if I'm successful.  Don't hold your breath though.  Seems there are quite a few really nice looking templates but most of those require that you fork over some cash.

I can't say that it's been terribly confusing so far.  It could be my tech background has given me a leg up when it comes to figuring out things blindly.  But I think it's pretty safe to say that Joomla has taken enough time to lay everything out in a simple manner.  The menus and controls are straight forward and I haven't found anything just completely hidden under drop down menu after drop down menu.  The Template Manager manages... templates.  The Category Manager manages... categories.  The--I think you get the picture.

I did have to google how to install a template but that's not a huge concern.  And I have had to upload all of my extensions via zip file because my "Install from web" function is not working as intended.  For some reason or another I am unable to connect to the Joomla servers.  Luckily enough the two extensions that I have installed AkeebaBackup and JCE were both in the video tut and I was able to find them via google.

No comments:

Post a Comment