Pages

Monday, May 25, 2015

Jooooomla! Part 2


So after finishing up with Joomla I have decided that while the system is okay it is very slow.  It could be the template I chose is helping to bog down the processes but switching between tabs and areas in the back end can take quite a while.  And due to using Chrome I guess I still haven't been able to connect with the Joomla servers in order to install extensions.

As I mentioned in Part 1 I used Akeeba Backup and JCE editor as my two extensions.  One allowed for the entire website to be backed up and then you could download the file to your local machine.  The other JCE editor gave a much more robust text editor than the default settings.  I also uploaded several templates to try out as well.  These were uploaded through the extension manager but were customized in the template manager tab.

I also discovered that somehow one of my articles was deleted.  I went to do a run through and it wasn't there.  I remember writing it and I even did a back up.  Unfortunately I have yet to figure out how to actually use my back up files from Akeeba.  I tried using Akeeba Kickstart but unfortunately it is not a Joomla Extension and thus you are just supposed to upload it to your server along with your backup file.  Which I'm not sure I can actually do since this is just the demo site and I'm not hosting it myself.  So I had to rewrite that which wasn't a big deal but it did confuse me.

Overall I think I would probably want to use something else but if I had a job working within this system it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  And considering that I haven't actually used another CMS before it could be that the small irritants that I battled with in Joomla aren't so bad when compared to something else.

To check out my site head over to Ordnance of Owls.

No comments:

Post a Comment